Essex & Co. is committed to providing quality solid and engineered hardwood flooring that is free from manufacturing defects in milling and lamination for the lifetime of the product.
Essex & Co. is a trade name of Essex Coatings & Finishing, LLC. All warranties in this Standard Limited Warranty ("this Warranty) are for Essex Coatings & Finishing, LLC and Essex & Co., referred to in this document as "Essex." Essex & Co. and Essex Coatings and Finishing, LLC will be liable to customer or to any other person for any indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages arising out of or related to the performance of products produced by Essex Coatings and Finishing, breach hereof, even if Essex has been advised of the possibility thereof, including but not limited to, damages resulting from or related to any failure of the product involved or the coating applied to the product. There are no warranties which extend beyond the description provided here. These warranties are given in lieu of all other warranties. There is no warranty of merchantability or fitness for any particular purpose except the express warranties contained in this document. The manufacturer excludes all warranties implied by law or implied by fact which are not expressly set forth.
This warranty does not include the cost of labor if the original installation is done by anyone other than a professional installation contractor. This warranty will not cover the installation or replacement costs of material that was not properly inspected upon delivery and before installation for visual defects, structural defects, quality, and accuracy within their respective time frames that are eventually rejected by the end user or their agent. We exclude, and will not be liable for or pay under the warranties in this Warranty, any and all incidental, consequential, punitive or special damages. By this we mean any loss, expense, or damage other than to the flooring itself that may result from a defect in the flooring. For example, these warranties do not include the removal or replacement of cabinets, fixtures, retail markups, installation or labor provided by others or supplemental costs, including but not limited to, relocation during the repair process such as hotel, meals, or moving and storage of furniture. Our limited warranties constitute the only express or implied warranties for the product purchased.
These warranties are valid only to the original purchasers of the flooring. No warranties are transferable. Essex & Co. Custom Floors reserves the right to verify and inspect any and all warranty claims. Warranty claims may be investigated and inspected by company personnel and/or NWFA Certified Hardwood Flooring Inspectors at our option. Some defect claims may require the removal of samples for analysis. Responsibility for replacement costs of materials will be determined after cause and analysis is made. Essex & Co. will repair and/or replace any material deemed defective at our option. Essex & Co. will directly reimburse the original purchaser. In the event that the defective flooring is unable to be repaired in a reasonable number of attempts, Essex & Co. will reimburse the original purchaser the purchase price of the flooring for the defective portion of the floor.
- Customer must retain the original sales receipt.
- Customer must follow the installation instructions provided.
- Customer must follow proper maintenance and floor care procedures, using proper maintenance and cleaning products as prescribed by the manufacturer of the coating used on to the individual product. See ‘Flooring Installation Instructions – Cleaning’ identify the correct coating and cleaning/maintenance regimen.
- Hardwood flooring is a natural product. Wood expands and contracts according to humidity and moisture conditions. It is very important that engineered wood flooring be thoroughly acclimated to a controlled environment before it is installed
- Carefully follow the Engineered Flooring Installation Instructions.
- Verify that the flooring has been properly acclimated.
- Verify that installation and/or site conditions are adequate for the installation and ensure that humidity and temperature conditions are maintained during acclimation and installation.
- Verify that the subfloor is clean, dry, flat, and structurally sound per the requirements listed in the Installation Instructions.
- Check the flooring for manufacturing defects and/or visible damage. Verify prior to installation that any hardwood flooring that will be installed has been manufactured within acceptable tolerances and is visually satisfactory to the end-user. When in doubt, do not install.
Warranty Disclaimers – Things not covered by Essex & Co. Custom Floors' Warranty:
- Wood flooring installed in full bathrooms with a shower or tub
- Damage caused by fire, flooding and other natural disasters and/or Acts of God
- Damage caused by negligence, accidents, misuse or abuse
- Damage caused by vacuum cleaner beater bar or hard heads
- Damage caused by appliances, furniture, and casters
- Damage caused by cutting from sharp objects
- Reduction in gloss, scratches, or indentation due to sand, pebbles or other abrasives, debris, pets, insects, construction traffic, or failure to maintain the floor as required
- Color, shade, or texture variations between samples, printed color photography or replacement flooring and original flooring material
- Changes in color due to exposure to air, sunlight and age
- Noises (squeaks, etc.) associated with anything other than the mis-manufacture of the flooring
- Naturally occurring wood characteristics such as variation in grain, mineral streaks, and knots
- Deficiencies related to subfloor/floor joist assemblies, subfloor preparation materials and fasteners including but not limited to uneven subfloor surfaces, floor deflection, voids in the subfloor, or excessive moisture in the subfloor
- Natural expansion and contraction resulting in separation between boards or damage caused by excessive high or low humidity
- Minor cracks or separations between the flooring boards caused by expansion and contraction due to seasonal changes
- Cupping or crowning in the flooring boards due to excessive subfloor moisture or low humidity
- Products designated as "thrift" "antique," "tavern," "bargain," "cabin grade," "economy grade," "rustic," "close-out," "off-goods," "non-standard," and/or products sold "As-Is"
- Construction or installation-related damage
- Floors damaged or adhesive breakdown caused by subfloor moisture or water damage, including without limitation to broken or leaking water pipes, flooding, wet mopping spills or weather conditions
- Installation defects including installations made in violation of applicable state or local housing or building codes, or contrary to the Installation Instructions furnished with the product.
There are color and pattern variations in all wood. This is characteristic of a living tree. All wood will go through natural color changes from the effects of oxidation and ultraviolet light. In some species such as American Cherry, Walnut and some exotics this color change is more pronounced. This is not a product defect and is not covered by the warranty.
When the appropriate installation instructions are followed Essex & Co. Engineered Flooring having a top layer made of a species from the list of warranted species is fully warranted over radiant heat. The warranty will be void if any of the requirements and installation instructions in the "Radiant Heat Systems" section of the Installation Instructions are not fully met.
NOTE: in wood flooring installations over radiant heat, moderate surface checking, cracking (especially at the ends of boards and around knots), shrinkage, gapping between planks, and slight cupping are all to be expected and do not constitute a product defect.
It is the responsibility of the installer to inspect the flooring for manufacturing defects and/or visible damage prior to installation. Essex & Co. Custom Floors accepts no responsibility for liabilities, claims, or expenses, including labor costs, where flooring with visible defects has been installed. No retailers, distributors or employees have the authority to alter the obligations, limitations, or exclusions under any of the Essex & Co. warranties. Essex & Co. excludes and will not be liable for or pay incidental, consequential or special damages under any warranties. This means any loss, expense, or damage other than to the flooring itself that may result from a defect in the flooring. These limited warranties constitute the only express warranties for the product purchased. To the extent permitted by law and for all non-consumer products, all warranties other than Essex & Co. Custom Floors limited warranties express or implied, including any warranty merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, are disclaimed. If any implied warranty arises under state law, any and all implied warranties (including any warranty of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose) are limited in duration to the duration of this written warranty, to the extent allowed by law. Some jurisdictions do not allow exclusion or limitations of incidental or consequential damages or limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply. These warranties give the customer specific legal rights, and the customer may also have other rights that vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.